2000 STOCK PLAN
As amended on February 14, 2003
1. Purposes of the Plan. The purposes of this Stock Plan are to attract and retain the best available personnel for positions of substantial responsibility, to provide additional incentive to Employees, Directors and Consultants and to promote the success of the Companys business. Options granted under the Plan may be Incentive Stock Options or Nonstatutory Stock Options, as determined by the Administrator at the time of grant.
2. Definitions. As used herein, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) Administrator means the Board or any of its Committees as shall be administering the Plan in accordance with Section 4 hereof.
(b) Applicable Laws means the requirements relating to the administration of stock option plans under U.S. state corporate laws, U.S. federal and state securities laws, the Code, any stock exchange or quotation system on which the Class A Senior Common Stock is listed or quoted and the applicable laws of any other country or jurisdiction where Options are granted under the Plan.
(c) Board means the Board of Directors of the Company.
(d) Change in Control means the occurrence of any of the following events:
(i) If (a) any person (as such term is used in Sections 13(d) and 14(d) of the Exchange Act) becomes the beneficial owner (as defined in Rule 13d-3 of the Exchange Act), directly or indirectly, of securities of the Company representing fifty percent (50%) or more of the total voting power represented by the Companys then outstanding voting securities and (b) within three (3) years from the date of such acquisition, the following occurs: the consummation of a merger or consolidation of the Company with or into the holder or an affiliate thereof of such beneficial ownership of securities of the Company; or
(ii) The consummation of the sale or disposition by the Company of all or substantially all of the Companys assets; or
(iii) The consummation of a merger or consolidation of the Company with any other corporation, other than a merger or consolidation which would result in the voting securities of the Company outstanding immediately prior thereto continuing to represent (either by remaining outstanding or by being converted into voting securities of the surviving entity or its parent) at least fifty percent (50%) of the total voting power represented by the voting securities of the Company or such surviving entity or its parent outstanding immediately after such merger or consolidation.
For the purposes of this Section 2(d), affiliate shall mean, with respect to any specified person, any other person that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, such specified person (control, controlled by and under common control with shall mean the possession, directly or indirectly, of the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of a person, whether through ownership of voting securities, by contract or credit arrangement, as trustee or executor, or otherwise).
(e) Code means the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
(f) Committee means a committee of Directors appointed by the Board in accordance with Section 4 hereof.
(g) Class A Senior Common Stock means the Class A Senior Common Stock of the Company.
(h) Company means Google Technology Inc., a California corporation, until the consummation of the reincorporation of Google Technology Inc. into the State of Delaware, at which time Company shall mean Google Inc., a Delaware corporation.
(i) Consultant means any natural person or entity that is engaged by the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary to render consulting or advisory services to the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary.
(j) Director means a member of the Board.
(k) Disability means total and permanent disability as defined in Section 22(e)(3) of the Code.
(l) Employee means any person, including officers and Directors, employed by the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary of the Company. A Service Provider shall not cease to be an Employee in the case of (i) any leave of absence approved by the Company or (ii) transfers between locations of the Company or between the Company, its Parent, any Subsidiary, or any successor. For purposes of Incentive Stock Options, no such leave may exceed ninety (90) days, unless reemployment upon expiration of such leave is guaranteed by statute or contract. If reemployment upon expiration of a leave of absence approved by the Company is not so guaranteed, then three (3) months following the 90th day of such leave, any Incentive Stock Option held by the Optionee shall cease to be treated as an Incentive Stock Option and shall be treated for tax purposes as a Nonstatutory Stock Option. Neither service as a Director nor payment of a directors fee by the Company shall be sufficient to constitute employment by the Company.
(m) Exchange Act means the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended.
(n) Fair Market Value means, as of any date, the value of Class A Senior Common Stock determined as follows:
(i) If the Class A Senior Common Stock is listed on any established stock exchange or a national market system, including without limitation the Nasdaq National Market or The Nasdaq SmallCap Market of The Nasdaq Stock Market, its Fair Market Value shall be the closing sales price for such stock (or the closing bid, if no sales were reported) as quoted on such exchange or system on the day of determination, as reported in The Wall Street Journal or such other source as the Administrator deems reliable;
(ii) If the Class A Senior Common Stock is regularly quoted by a recognized securities dealer but selling prices are not reported, its Fair Market Value shall be the mean between the high bid and low asked prices for the Class A Senior Common Stock on the day of determination; or
(iii) In the absence of an established market for the Class A Senior Common Stock, the Fair Market Value thereof shall be determined in good faith by the Administrator.
(o) Incentive Stock Option means an Option intended to qualify as an incentive stock option within the meaning of Section 422 of the Code.
(p) Nonstatutory Stock Option means an Option not intended to qualify as an Incentive Stock Option.
(q) Option means a stock option granted pursuant to the Plan.
(r) Option Agreement means a written or electronic agreement between the Company and an Optionee evidencing the terms and conditions of an individual Option grant. The Option Agreement is subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan.
(s) Optioned Stock means the Class A Senior Common Stock subject to an Option.
(t) Optionee means the holder of an outstanding Option granted under the Plan.
(u) Parent means a parent corporation, whether now or hereafter existing, as defined in Section 424(e) of the Code.
(v) Plan means the Google Technology Inc. 2000 Stock Plan, which shall become the Google Inc. 2000 Stock plan upon the closing of a reincorporation of Google Technology Inc. into the State of Delaware that includes the corresponding name change to Google Inc.
(w) Service Provider means an Employee, Director or Consultant.
(x) Share means a share of the Class A Senior Common Stock, as adjusted in accordance with Section 12 below.
(y) Subsidiary means a subsidiary corporation, whether now or hereafter existing, as defined in Section 424(f) of the Code.
3. Stock Subject to the Plan. Subject to the provisions of Section 12 of the Plan, the maximum aggregate number of Shares that may be subject to option and sold under the Plan is 9,780,854 Shares (following the effectiveness of a two-for-one forward stock split of the Companys capital stock effected February 21, 2003 (the Stock Split)). In no event shall the number of Shares issued pursuant to Incentive Stock Options under this Plan exceed the number indicated in this Section 3. The Shares may be authorized but unissued or reacquired Class A Senior Common Stock.
If an Option expires or becomes unexercisable without having been exercised in full, the unpurchased Shares which were subject thereto shall become available for future grant or sale under the Plan (unless the Plan has terminated). However, Shares that have actually been issued under the Plan, upon exercise of an Option, shall not be returned to the Plan and shall not become available for future distribution under the Plan, except that if Shares of restricted stock issued pursuant to an Option are repurchased by the Company at their original purchase price, such Shares shall become available for future grant under the Plan.
4. Administration of the Plan.
(a) Administrator. The Plan shall be administered by the Board or a Committee appointed by the Board, which Committee shall be constituted to comply with Applicable Laws.
(b) Powers of the Administrator. Subject to the provisions of the Plan and, in the case of a Committee, the specific duties delegated by the Board to such Committee, and subject to the approval of any relevant authorities, the Administrator shall have the authority in its discretion:
(i) to determine the Fair Market Value;
(ii) to select the Service Providers to whom Options may from time to time be granted hereunder;
(iii) to determine the number of Shares to be covered by each such Option granted hereunder;
(iv) to approve forms of agreement for use under the Plan;
(v) to determine the terms and conditions of any Option granted hereunder. Such terms and conditions include, but are not limited to, the exercise price, the time or times when Options may be exercised (which may be based on performance criteria), any vesting acceleration or waiver of forfeiture restrictions, and any restriction or limitation regarding any Option or the Class A Senior Common Stock relating thereto, based in each case on such factors as the Administrator, in its sole discretion, shall determine;
(vi) to prescribe, amend and rescind rules and regulations relating to the Plan, including rules and regulations relating to sub-plans established for the purpose of satisfying applicable foreign laws;
(vii) to allow Optionees to satisfy withholding tax obligations by electing to have the Company withhold from the Shares to be issued upon exercise of an Option that number of Shares having a Fair Market Value equal to the minimum amount required to be withheld. The Fair Market Value of the Shares to be withheld shall be determined on the date that the amount of tax to be withheld is to be determined. All elections by Optionees to have Shares withheld for this purpose shall be made in such form and under such conditions as the Administrator may deem necessary or advisable; and
(viii) to construe and interpret the terms of the Plan and Options granted pursuant to the Plan.
(c) Effect of Administrators Decision. All decisions, determinations and interpretations of the Administrator shall be final and binding on all Optionees.
5. Eligibility. Nonstatutory Stock Options may be granted to Service Providers. Incentive Stock Options may be granted only to Employees.
(a) Incentive Stock Option Limit. Each Option shall be designated in the Option Agreement as either an Incentive Stock Option or a Nonstatutory Stock Option. However, notwithstanding such designation, to the extent that the aggregate Fair Market Value of the Shares with respect to which Incentive Stock Options are exercisable for the first time by the Optionee during any calendar year (under all plans of the Company and any Parent or Subsidiary) exceeds $100,000, such Options shall be treated as Nonstatutory Stock Options. For purposes of this Section 6(a), Incentive Stock Options shall be taken into account in the order in which they were granted. The Fair Market Value of the Shares shall be determined as of the time the Option with respect to such Shares is granted.
(b) At-Will Employment. Neither the Plan nor any Option shall confer upon any Optionee any right with respect to continuing the Optionees relationship as a Service Provider with the Company, nor shall it interfere in any way with his or her right or the Companys right to terminate such relationship at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice.
7. Term of Plan. The Plan shall become effective upon its adoption by the Board. It shall continue in effect for a term of ten (10) years unless sooner terminated under Section 14 of the Plan.
8. Term of Option. The term of each Option shall be stated in the Option Agreement; provided, however, that the term shall be no more than ten (10) years from the date of grant thereof. In the case of an Incentive Stock Option granted to an Optionee who, at the time the Option is granted, owns stock representing more than ten percent (10%) of the voting power of all classes of stock of the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary, the term of the Option shall be five (5) years from the date of grant or such shorter term as may be provided in the Option Agreement.
9. Option Exercise Price and Consideration.
(a) Exercise Price. The per share exercise price for the Shares to be issued upon exercise of an Option shall be such price as is determined by the Administrator, but shall be subject to the following:
(i) In the case of an Incentive Stock Option
(A) granted to an Employee who, at the time of grant of such Option, owns stock representing more than ten percent (10%) of the voting power of all classes of stock of the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary, the exercise price shall be no less than 110% of the Fair Market Value per Share on the date of grant.
(B) granted to any other Employee, the per Share exercise price shall be no less than 100% of the Fair Market Value per Share on the date of grant.
(ii) In the case of a Nonstatutory Stock Option, the per Share exercise price shall be determined by the Administrator.
(iii) Notwithstanding the foregoing, Options may be granted with a per Share exercise price other than as required above pursuant to a merger or other corporate transaction.
(b) Forms of Consideration. The consideration to be paid for the Shares to be issued upon exercise of an Option, including the method of payment, shall be determined by the Administrator (and, in the case of an Incentive Stock Option, shall be determined at the time of grant). Such consideration may consist of (1) cash, (2) check, (3) promissory note, (4) other Shares, provided Shares acquired from the Company, either directly or indirectly, (x) have been owned by the Optionee for more than six months on the date of surrender, and (y) have a Fair Market Value on the date of surrender equal to the aggregate exercise price of the Shares as to which such Option shall be exercised, (5) consideration received by the Company under a cashless exercise program implemented by the Company in connection with the Plan, or (6) any combination of the foregoing methods of payment. In making its determination as to the type of consideration to accept, the Administrator shall consider if acceptance of such consideration may be reasonably expected to benefit the Company. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Administrator may permit an Optionee to exercise his or her Option by delivery of a full-recourse promissory note secured by the purchased Shares. The terms of such promissory note shall be determined by the Administrator in its sole discretion.
10. Exercise of Option.
(a) Procedure for Exercise; Rights as a Shareholder. Any Option granted hereunder shall be exercisable according to the terms hereof at such times and under such conditions as determined by the Administrator and set forth in the Option Agreement. Unless the Administrator provides otherwise, vesting of Options granted hereunder shall be suspended during any unpaid leave of absence. An Option may not be exercised for a fraction of a Share.
An Option shall be deemed exercised when the Company receives: (i) written or electronic notice of exercise (in accordance with the Option Agreement) from the person entitled to exercise the Option, and (ii) full payment for the Shares with respect to which the Option is exercised. Full payment may consist of any consideration and method of payment authorized by the Administrator and permitted by the Option Agreement and the Plan. Shares issued upon exercise of an Option shall be issued in the name of the Optionee or, if requested by the Optionee, in the name of the Optionee and his or her spouse. Until the Shares are issued (as evidenced by the appropriate entry on the books of the Company or of a duly authorized transfer agent of the Company), no right to vote or receive dividends or any other rights as a shareholder shall exist with respect to the Shares, notwithstanding the exercise of the Option. The Company shall issue (or cause to be issued) such Shares promptly after the Option is exercised. No adjustment will be made for a dividend or other right for which the record date is prior to the date the Shares are issued, except as provided in Section 12 of the Plan.
Exercise of an Option in any manner shall result in a decrease in the number of Shares thereafter available, both for purposes of the Plan and for sale under the Option, by the number of Shares as to which the Option is exercised.
(b) Termination of Relationship as a Service Provider. If an Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider, such Optionee may exercise his or her Option within such period of time as is specified in the Option Agreement to the extent that the Option is vested on the date of termination (but in no event later than the expiration of the term of the Option as set forth in the Option Agreement). In the absence of a specified time in the Option Agreement, the Option shall remain exercisable for three (3) months following the Optionees termination. If, on the date of termination, the Optionee is not vested as to his or her entire Option, the Shares covered by the unvested portion of the Option shall revert to the Plan. If, after termination, the Optionee does not exercise his or her Option within the time specified by the Administrator, the Option shall terminate, and the Shares covered by such Option shall revert to the Plan.
(c) Disability of Optionee. If an Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider as a result of the Optionees Disability, the Optionee may exercise his or her Option within such period of time as is specified in the Option Agreement (of at least six (6) months) to the extent the Option is vested on the date of termination (but in no event later than the expiration of the term of such Option as set forth in the Option Agreement). In the absence of a specified time in the Option Agreement, the Option shall remain exercisable for twelve (12) months following the Optionees termination. If, on the date of termination, the Optionee is not vested as to his or her entire Option, the Shares covered by the unvested portion of the Option shall revert to the Plan. If, after termination, the Optionee does not exercise his or her Option within the time specified herein, the Option shall terminate, and the Shares covered by such Option shall revert to the Plan.
(d) Death of Optionee. If an Optionee dies while a Service Provider, the Option may be exercised within such period of time as is specified in the Option Agreement (of at least six (6) months) to the extent that the Option is vested on the date of death (but in no event later than the expiration of the term of such Option as set forth in the Option Agreement) by the Optionees estate or by a person who acquires the right to exercise the Option by bequest or inheritance. In the absence of a specified time in the Option Agreement, the Option shall remain exercisable for twelve
(12) months following the Optionees termination. If, at the time of death, the Optionee is not vested as to his or her entire Option, the Shares covered by the unvested portion of the Option shall immediately revert to the Plan. If the Option is not so exercised within the time specified herein, the Option shall terminate, and the Shares covered by such Option shall revert to the Plan.
(a) Buyout Provisions. The Administrator may at any time offer to buy out for a payment in cash or Shares, an Option previously granted, based on such terms and conditions as the Administrator shall establish and communicate to the Optionee at the time that such offer is made.
11. Non-Transferability of Options. The Options may not be sold, pledged, assigned, hypothecated, transferred, or disposed of in any manner other than by will or the laws of descent and distribution, and may be exercised during the lifetime of the Optionee, only by the Optionee.
12. Adjustments Upon Changes in Capitalization, Merger or Change in Control.
(a) Changes in Capitalization. Subject to any required action by the shareholders of the Company, the number and type of Shares which have been authorized for issuance under the Plan but as to which no Options have yet been granted or which have been returned to the Plan upon cancellation or expiration of an Option, and the number and type of Shares covered by each outstanding Option, as well as the price per Share covered by each such outstanding Option, shall be proportionately adjusted for any increase or decrease in the number or type of issued Shares resulting from a stock split, reverse stock split, stock dividend, combination or reclassification of the Class A Senior Common Stock, or any other increase or decrease in the number of issued shares of Class A Senior Common Stock effected without receipt of consideration by the Company. The conversion of any convertible securities of the Company shall not be deemed to have been effected without receipt of consideration. Such adjustment shall be made by the Board, whose determination in that respect shall be final, binding and conclusive. Except as expressly provided herein, no issuance by the Company of shares of stock of any class, or securities convertible into shares of stock of any class, shall affect, and no adjustment by reason thereof shall be made with respect to, the number, type or price of Shares subject to an Option.
(b) Dissolution or Liquidation. In the event of the proposed dissolution or liquidation of the Company, the Administrator shall notify each Optionee as soon as practicable prior to the effective date of such proposed transaction. The Administrator in its discretion may provide for an Optionee to have the right to exercise his or her Option until fifteen (15) days prior to such transaction as to all of the Optioned Stock covered thereby, including Shares as to which the Option would not otherwise be exercisable. In addition, the Administrator may provide that any Company repurchase option applicable to any Shares purchased upon exercise of an Option shall lapse as to all such Shares, provided the proposed dissolution or liquidation takes place at the time and in the manner contemplated. To the extent it has not been previously exercised, an Option will terminate immediately prior to the consummation of such proposed action.
(c) Merger or Change in Control. In the event of a merger of the Company with or into another corporation, or a Change in Control, each outstanding Option shall be assumed or an equivalent option substituted by the successor corporation or a Parent or Subsidiary of the successor corporation. Notwithstanding the foregoing and anything contrary in the Plan, to the extent the successor corporation in a merger or Change in Control refuses to assume or substitute for this
Option, then the Optionee shall fully vest in and have the right to exercise this Option as to all of the Optioned Stock, including Shares as to which it would not otherwise be vested or exercisable. If this Option becomes fully vested and exercisable in lieu of assumption or substitution in the event of a merger or Change in Control, the Administrator shall notify the Optionee in writing or electronically that this Option shall be fully exercisable for a period of fifteen (15) days from the date of such notice, and this Option shall terminate upon the expiration of such period. For the purposes of this paragraph, the Option shall be considered assumed if, following the merger or Change in Control, the Option confers the right to purchase or receive, for each Share of Optioned Stock subject to the Option immediately prior to the merger or Change in Control, the consideration (whether stock, cash, or other securities or property) received in the merger or Change in Control by holders of Class A Senior Common Stock for each Share held on the effective date of the transaction (and if holders were offered a choice of consideration, the type of consideration chosen by the holders of a majority of the outstanding Shares); provided, however, that if such consideration received in the merger or Change in Control is not solely common stock of the successor corporation or its Parent, the Administrator may, with the consent of the successor corporation, provide for the consideration to be received upon the exercise of the Option, for each Share of Optioned Stock subject to the Option, to be solely common stock of the successor corporation or its Parent equal in fair market value to the per share consideration received by holders of Class A Senior Common Stock in the merger or Change in Control.
13. Time of Granting Options. The date of grant of an Option shall, for all purposes, be the date on which the Administrator makes the determination granting such Option, or such later date as is determined by the Administrator. Notice of the determination shall be given to each Service Provider to whom an Option is so granted within a reasonable time after the date of such grant.
14. Amendment and Termination of the Plan.
(a) Amendment and Termination. The Board may at any time amend, alter, suspend or terminate the Plan.
(b) Shareholder Approval. The Board shall obtain shareholder approval of any Plan amendment to the extent necessary and desirable to comply with Applicable Laws.
(c) Effect of Amendment or Termination. No amendment, alteration, suspension or termination of the Plan shall impair the rights of any Optionee, unless mutually agreed otherwise between the Optionee and the Administrator, which agreement must be in writing and signed by the Optionee and the Company. Termination of the Plan shall not affect the Administrators ability to exercise the powers granted to it hereunder with respect to Options granted under the Plan prior to the date of such termination.
15. Conditions Upon Issuance of Shares.
(a) Legal Compliance. Shares shall not be issued pursuant to the exercise of an Option unless the exercise of such Option and the issuance and delivery of such Shares shall comply with Applicable Laws and shall be further subject to the approval of counsel for the Company with respect to such compliance.
(b) Investment Representations. As a condition to the exercise of an Option, the Administrator may require the person exercising such Option to represent and warrant at the time of any such exercise that the Shares are being purchased only for investment and without any present intention to sell or distribute such Shares if, in the opinion of counsel for the Company, such a representation is required.
16. Inability to Obtain Authority. The inability of the Company to obtain authority from any regulatory body having jurisdiction, which authority is deemed by the Companys counsel to be necessary to the lawful issuance and sale of any Shares hereunder, shall relieve the Company of any liability in respect of the failure to issue or sell such Shares as to which such requisite authority shall not have been obtained.
17. Reservation of Shares. The Company, during the term of this Plan, shall at all times reserve and keep available such number of Shares as shall be sufficient to satisfy the requirements of the Plan.
18. Shareholder Approval. The Plan shall be subject to approval by the shareholders of the Company within twelve (12) months after the date the Plan is adopted. Such shareholder approval shall be obtained in the degree and manner required under Applicable Laws.
2000 STOCK PLAN
STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT EARLY EXERCISE
Unless otherwise defined herein, the terms defined in the 2000 Stock Plan shall have the same defined meanings in this Stock Option Agreement.
|NOTICE OF STOCK OPTION GRANT
The undersigned Optionee has been granted an Option to purchase Common Stock of the Company, subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Option Agreement, as follows:
|Date of Grant
|Vesting Commencement Date
|Exercise Price per Share
|Total Number of Shares Granted
|Total Exercise Price
|Type of Option:
|___ Incentive Stock Option
|___ Nonstatutory Stock Option
This Option shall be exercisable in whole or in part, according to the following vesting schedule:
25% of the Shares subject to the Option shall vest twelve months after the Vesting Commencement Date, and 1/48 of the Shares subject to the Option shall vest each month thereafter, subject to Optionees continuing to be a Service Provider on such dates.
This Option shall be exercisable for three months after Optionee ceases to be a Service Provider. Upon Optionees death or Disability, this Option shall be exercisable for one year after Optionee ceases to be Service Provider. In no event may Optionee exercise this Option after the Term/Expiration Date as provided above.
1. Grant of Option. The Administrator of the Company hereby grants to the Optionee named in the Notice of Grant (the Optionee), an option (the Option) to purchase the number of Shares set forth in the Notice of Grant, at the exercise price per Share set forth in the Notice of Grant (the Exercise Price), and subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan, which is incorporated herein by reference. Subject to Section 14(c) of the Plan, in the event of a conflict between the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Option Agreement, the terms and conditions of the Plan shall prevail.
If designated in the Notice of Grant as an Incentive Stock Option (ISO), this Option is intended to qualify as an Incentive Stock Option as defined in Section 422 of the Code. Nevertheless, to the extent that it exceeds the $100,000 rule of Code Section 422(d), this Option shall be treated as a Nonstatutory Stock Option (NSO).
2. Exercise of Option. This Option shall be exercisable during its term in accordance with the provisions of Section 9 of the Plan as follows:
(a) Right to Exercise.
(i) Subject to subsections 2(a)(ii) and 2(a)(iii) below, this Option shall be exercisable cumulatively according to the vesting schedule set forth in the Notice of Grant. Alternatively, at the election of the Optionee, this Option may be exercised in whole or in part at any time as to Shares that have not yet vested. Vested Shares shall not be subject to the Companys repurchase right (as set forth in the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement, attached hereto as Exhibit C-1).
(ii) As a condition to exercising this Option for unvested Shares, the Optionee shall execute the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement.
(iii) This Option may not be exercised for a fraction of a Share.
(b) Method of Exercise. This Option shall be exercisable by delivery of an exercise notice in the form attached as Exhibit A (the Exercise Notice) which shall state the election to exercise the Option, the number of Shares with respect to which the Option is being exercised, and such other representations and agreements as may be required by the Company. The Exercise Notice shall be accompanied by payment of the aggregate Exercise Price as to all Exercised Shares. This Option shall be deemed to be exercised upon receipt by the Company of such fully executed Exercise Notice accompanied by the aggregate Exercise Price.
No Shares shall be issued pursuant to the exercise of an Option unless such issuance and such exercise complies with Applicable Laws. Assuming such compliance, for income tax purposes the Shares shall be considered transferred to the Optionee on the date on which the Option is exercised with respect to such Shares.
3. Optionees Representations. In the event the Shares have not been registered under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, at the time this Option is exercised, the Optionee shall, if required by the Company, concurrently with the exercise of all or any portion of this Option, deliver to the Company his or her Investment Representation Statement in the form attached hereto as Exhibit B.
4. Lock-Up Period. Optionee hereby agrees that Optionee shall not offer, pledge, sell, contract to sell, sell any option or contract to purchase, purchase any option or contract to sell, grant any option, right or warrant to purchase, lend, or otherwise transfer or dispose of, directly or indirectly, any Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company or enter into any swap, hedging or other arrangement that transfers to another, in whole or in part, any of the economic consequences of ownership of any Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company held by Optionee (other than those included in the registration) for a period specified by the representative of the underwriters of Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company not to exceed one hundred eighty (180) days following the effective date of a registration statement of the Company filed under the Securities Act.
Optionee agrees to execute and deliver such other agreements as may be reasonably requested by the Company or the underwriter which are consistent with the foregoing or which are necessary to give further effect thereto. In addition, if requested by the Company or the representative of the underwriters of Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company, Optionee shall provide, within ten (10) days of such request, such information as may be required by the Company or such representative in connection with the completion of any public offering of the Companys securities pursuant to a registration statement filed under the Securities Act. The obligations described in this Section shall not apply to a registration relating solely to employee benefit plans on Form S-1 or Form S-8 or similar forms that may be promulgated in the future, or a registration relating solely to a Commission Rule 145 transaction on Form S-4 or similar forms that may be promulgated in the future. The Company may impose stop-transfer instructions with respect to the shares of Common Stock (or other securities) subject to the foregoing restriction until the end of said one hundred eighty (180) day period. Optionee agrees that any transferee of any Option shall be bound by this Section.
5. Method of Payment. Payment of the aggregate Exercise Price shall be by any of the following, or a combination thereof, at the election of the Optionee:
(c) consideration received by the Company under a formal cashless exercise program adopted by the Company in connection with the Plan;
(d) surrender of other Shares which, (i) in the case of Shares acquired from the Company, either directly or indirectly, have been owned by the Optionee for more than six (6) months on the date of surrender, and (ii) have a Fair Market Value on the date of surrender equal to the aggregate Exercise Price of the Exercised Shares; or
(e) delivery of Optionees promissory note (the Note) in the form attached hereto as Exhibit D, in the amount of the aggregate Exercise Price of the Exercised Shares together with the execution and delivery by Optioneee of the Security Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit E. The Note shall bear interest at a market rate sufficient to avoid the Company incurring any financial accounting compensation expense with respect to the Option, and shall be secured by a pledge of the Shares purchased by the Note pursuant to the Security Agreement.
6. Restrictions on Exercise. This Option may not be exercised until such time as the Plan has been approved by the shareholders of the Company, or if the issuance of such Shares upon such exercise or the method of payment of consideration for such shares would constitute a violation of any Applicable Law.
7. Non-Transferability of Option. This Option may not be transferred in any manner otherwise than by will or by the laws of descent or distribution or as set forth in the Plan and may be exercised during the lifetime of Optionee only by Optionee. The terms of the Plan and this Option Agreement shall be binding upon the executors, administrators, heirs, successors and assigns of the Optionee.
8. Term of Option. This Option may be exercised only within the term set out in the Notice of Grant, and may be exercised during such term only in accordance with the Plan and the terms of this Option.
9. Tax Obligations.
(a) Withholding Taxes. Optionee agrees to make appropriate arrangements with the Company (or the Parent or Subsidiary employing or retaining Optionee) for the satisfaction of all Federal, state, local and foreign income and employment tax withholding requirements applicable to the Option exercise. Optionee acknowledges and agrees that the Company may refuse to honor the exercise and refuse to deliver the Shares if such withholding amounts are not delivered at the time of exercise.
(b) Notice of Disqualifying Disposition of ISO Shares. If the Option granted to Optionee herein is an ISO, and if Optionee sells or otherwise disposes of any of the Shares acquired pursuant to the ISO on or before the later of (1) the date two years after the Date of Grant, and (2) the date one year after the date of exercise, the Optionee shall immediately notify the Company in writing of such disposition. Optionee agrees that Optionee may be subject to income tax withholding by the Company on the compensation income recognized by the Optionee.
10. Entire Agreement; Governing Law. The Plan, the Offer Letter and this Stock Option Agreement are incorporated herein by reference. The Plan, the Offer Letter, the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement, the Investment Representation Statement and this Stock Option Agreement
constitute the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede in their entirety all prior undertakings and agreements of the Company and Optionee with respect to the subject matter hereof, and may not be modified adversely to the Optionees interest except by means of a writing signed by the Company and Optionee. This Agreement is governed by the internal substantive laws but not the choice of law rules of California.
11. No Guarantee of Continued Service. OPTIONEE AGREES THAT THE VESTING OF SHARES PURSUANT TO THE VESTING SCHEDULE HEREOF IS EARNED ONLY BY CONTINUING AS A SERVICE PROVIDER AT THE WILL OF THE COMPANY (NOT THROUGH THE ACT OF BEING HIRED, BEING GRANTED THIS OPTION OR ACQUIRING SHARES HEREUNDER). OPTIONEE FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THIS AGREEMENT, THE TRANSACTIONS CONTEMPLATED HEREUNDER AND THE VESTING SCHEDULE SET FORTH HEREIN DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESS OR IMPLIED PROMISE OF CONTINUED ENGAGEMENT AS A SERVICE PROVIDER FOR THE VESTING PERIOD, FOR ANY PERIOD, OR AT ALL, AND SHALL NOT INTERFERE IN ANY WAY WITH OPTIONEES RIGHT OR THE COMPANYS RIGHT TO TERMINATE OPTIONEES RELATIONSHIP AS A SERVICE PROVIDER AT ANY TIME, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE.
Optionee acknowledges receipt of a copy of the Plan and represents that he or she is familiar with the terms and provisions thereof, and hereby accepts this Option subject to all of the terms and provisions thereof. Optionee has reviewed the Plan and this Option in their entirety, has had an opportunity to obtain the advice of counsel prior to executing this Option and fully understands all provisions of the Option. Optionee hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Administrator upon any questions arising under the Plan or this Option. Optionee further agrees to notify the Company upon any change in the residence address indicated below.
2000 STOCK PLAN
2400 Bayshore Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
1. Exercise of Option. Effective as of today, , , the undersigned (Optionee) hereby elects to exercise Optionees option (the Option) to purchase shares of the Common Stock (the Shares) of Google Inc. (the Company) under and pursuant to the 2000 Stock Plan (the Plan) and the Stock Option Agreement dated (the Option Agreement).
2. Delivery of Payment. Purchaser herewith delivers to the Company the full purchase price of the Shares, as set forth in the Option Agreement, and any and all withholding taxes due in connection with the exercise of the Option.
3. Representations of Optionee. Optionee acknowledges that Optionee has received, read and understood the Plan and the Option Agreement and agrees to abide by and be bound by their terms and conditions.
4. Rights as Shareholder. Until the issuance of the Shares (as evidenced by the appropriate entry on the books of the Company or of a duly authorized transfer agent of the Company), no right to vote or receive dividends or any other rights as a shareholder shall exist with respect to the Optioned Stock, notwithstanding the exercise of the Option. The Shares shall be issued to the Optionee as soon as practicable after the Option is exercised in accordance with the Option Agreement. No adjustment shall be made for a dividend or other right for which the record date is prior to the date of issuance except as provided in Section 12 of the Plan.
5. Companys Right of First Refusal. Before any Shares held by Optionee or any transferee (either being sometimes referred to herein as the Holder) may be sold or otherwise transferred (including transfer by gift or operation of law), the Company or its assignee(s) shall have a right of first refusal to purchase the Shares on the terms and conditions set forth in this Section (the Right of First Refusal).
(a) Notice of Proposed Transfer. The Holder of the Shares shall deliver to the Company a written notice (the Notice) stating: (i) the Holders bona fide intention to sell or otherwise transfer such Shares; (ii) the name of each proposed purchaser or other transferee (Proposed Transferee); (iii) the number of Shares to be transferred to each Proposed Transferee;
and (iv) the bona fide cash price or other consideration for which the Holder proposes to transfer the Shares (the Offered Price), and the Holder shall offer the Shares at the Offered Price to the Company or its assignee(s).
(b) Exercise of Right of First Refusal. At any time within thirty (30) days after receipt of the Notice, the Company and/or its assignee(s) may, by giving written notice to the Holder, elect to purchase all, but not less than all, of the Shares proposed to be transferred to any one or more of the Proposed Transferees, at the purchase price determined in accordance with subsection (c) below.
(c) Purchase Price. The purchase price (Purchase Price) for the Shares purchased by the Company or its assignee(s) under this Section shall be the Offered Price. If the Offered Price includes consideration other than cash, the cash equivalent value of the non-cash consideration shall be determined by the Board of Directors of the Company in good faith.
(d) Payment. Payment of the Purchase Price shall be made, at the option of the Company or its assignee(s), in cash (by check), by cancellation of all or a portion of any outstanding indebtedness of the Holder to the Company (or, in the case of repurchase by an assignee, to the assignee), or by any combination thereof within 30 days after receipt of the Notice or in the manner and at the times set forth in the Notice.
(e) Holders Right to Transfer. If all of the Shares proposed in the Notice to be transferred to a given Proposed Transferee are not purchased by the Company and/or its assignee(s) as provided in this Section, then the Holder may sell or otherwise transfer such Shares to that Proposed Transferee at the Offered Price or at a higher price, provided that such sale or other transfer is consummated within 120 days after the date of the Notice, that any such sale or other transfer is effected in accordance with any applicable securities laws and that the Proposed Transferee agrees in writing that the provisions of this Section shall continue to apply to the Shares in the hands of such Proposed Transferee. If the Shares described in the Notice are not transferred to the Proposed Transferee within such period, a new Notice shall be given to the Company, and the Company and/or its assignees shall again be offered the Right of First Refusal before any Shares held by the Holder may be sold or otherwise transferred.
(f) Exception for Certain Family Transfers. Anything to the contrary contained in this Section notwithstanding, the transfer of any or all of the Shares during the Optionees lifetime or on the Optionees death by will or intestacy to the Optionees immediate family or a trust for the benefit of the Optionees immediate family shall be exempt from the provisions of this Section. Immediate Family as used herein shall mean spouse or spousal equivalent (as defined below), lineal descendant or antecedent, father, mother, brother or sister. As used herein, a person is deemed to be a spousal equivalent provided the following circumstances are true: (i) irrespective of whether or not the Optionee and the spousal equivalent are the same sex, they are the sole spousal equivalent of the other for the last twelve (12) months, (ii) they intend to remain so indefinitely, (iii) neither are married to anyone else, (iv) both are at least eighteen (18) years of age and are or were mentally competent at the commencement of the domestic partnereship to consent to contract, (v) they are not related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit legal marriage in the state in which they legally
reside, (vi) they are jointly responsible for each others common welfare and financial obligations, and (vii) they have resided together in the same residence for the last twelve (12) months and intend to do so indefinitely. In such case, the transferee or other recipient shall receive and hold the Shares so transferred subject to the provisions of this Section, and there shall be no further transfer of such Shares except in accordance with the terms of this Section.
(g) Termination of Right of First Refusal. The Right of First Refusal shall terminate as to any Shares upon the earlier of (i) first sale of Common Stock of the Company to the general public, or (ii) a Change in Control in which the successor corporation has equity securities that are publicly traded.
6. Tax Consultation. Optionee understands that Optionee may suffer adverse tax consequences as a result of Optionees purchase or disposition of the Shares. Optionee represents that Optionee has consulted with any tax consultants Optionee deems advisable in connection with the purchase or disposition of the Shares and that Optionee is not relying on the Company for any tax advice.
7. Restrictive Legends and Stop-Transfer Orders.
(a) Legends. Optionee understands and agrees that the Company shall cause the legends set forth below or legends substantially equivalent thereto, to be placed upon any certificate(s) evidencing ownership of the Shares together with any other legends that may be required by the Company or by state or federal securities laws:
THE SECURITIES REPRESENTED HEREBY HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933 (THE ACT) AND MAY NOT BE OFFERED, SOLD OR OTHERWISE TRANSFERRED, PLEDGED OR HYPOTHECATED UNLESS AND UNTIL REGISTERED UNDER THE ACT OR, IN THE OPINION OF COMPANY COUNSEL SATISFACTORY TO THE ISSUER OF THESE SECURITIES, SUCH OFFER, SALE OR TRANSFER, PLEDGE OR HYPOTHECATION IS IN COMPLIANCE THEREWITH.
THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS ON TRANSFER AND A RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL HELD BY THE ISSUER OR ITS ASSIGNEE(S) AS SET FORTH IN THE EXERCISE NOTICE BETWEEN THE ISSUER AND THE ORIGINAL HOLDER OF THESE SHARES, A COPY OF WHICH MAY BE OBTAINED AT THE PRINCIPAL OFFICE OF THE ISSUER. SUCH TRANSFER RESTRICTIONS AND RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL ARE BINDING ON TRANSFEREES OF THESE SHARES.
(b) Stop-Transfer Notices. Optionee agrees that, in order to ensure compliance with the restrictions referred to herein, the Company may issue appropriate stop transfer
instructions to its transfer agent, if any, and that, if the Company transfers its own securities, it may make appropriate notations to the same effect in its own records.
(c) Refusal to Transfer. The Company shall not be required (i) to transfer on its books any Shares that have been sold or otherwise transferred in violation of any of the provisions of this Exercise Notice or (ii) to treat as owner of such Shares or to accord the right to vote or pay dividends to any purchaser or other transferee to whom such Shares shall have been so transferred.
8. Successors and Assigns. The Company may assign any of its rights under this Exercise Notice to single or multiple assignees, and this Exercise Notice shall inure to the benefit of the successors and assigns of the Company. Subject to the restrictions on transfer herein set forth, this Exercise Notice shall be binding upon Optionee and his or her heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns.
9. Interpretation. Any dispute regarding the interpretation of this Exercise Notice shall be submitted by Optionee or by the Company forthwith to the Administrator which shall review such dispute at its next regular meeting. The resolution of such a dispute by the Administrator shall be final and binding on all parties.
10. Governing Law; Severability. This Exercise Notice is governed by the internal substantive laws, but not the choice of law rules, of California.
11. Entire Agreement. The the offer letter between the Company and Optionee (the Offer Letter), the Plan and the Option Agreement are incorporated herein by reference. This Exercise Notice, the Offer Letter, the Plan, the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement, the Option Agreement and the Investment Representation Statement constitute the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede in their entirety all prior undertakings and agreements of the Company and Optionee with respect to the subject matter hereof, and may not be modified adversely to the Optionees interest except by means of a writing signed by the Company and Optionee.
2400 Bayshore Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
INVESTMENT REPRESENTATION STATEMENT
In connection with the purchase of the above-listed Securities, the undersigned Optionee represents to the Company the following:
(a) Optionee is aware of the Companys business affairs and financial condition and has acquired sufficient information about the Company to reach an informed and knowledgeable decision to acquire the Securities. Optionee is acquiring these Securities for investment for Optionees own account only and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, any distribution thereof within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act).
(b) Optionee acknowledges and understands that the Securities constitute restricted securities under the Securities Act and have not been registered under the Securities Act in reliance upon a specific exemption therefrom, which exemption depends upon, among other things, the bona fide nature of Optionees investment intent as expressed herein. In this connection, Optionee understands that, in the view of the Securities and Exchange Commission, the statutory basis for such exemption may be unavailable if Optionees representation was predicated solely upon a present intention to hold these Securities for the minimum capital gains period specified under tax statutes, for a deferred sale, for or until an increase or decrease in the market price of the Securities, or for a period of one year or any other fixed period in the future. Optionee further understands that the Securities must be held indefinitely unless they are subsequently registered under the Securities Act or an exemption from such registration is available. Optionee further acknowledges and understands that the Company is under no obligation to register the Securities. Optionee understands that the certificate evidencing the Securities will be imprinted with any legend required under applicable state securities laws.
Optionee is familiar with the provisions of Rule 144, promulgated under the Securities Act, which, in substance, permit limited public resale of restricted securities acquired, directly or indirectly from the issuer thereof, in a non-public offering subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions. Rule 144 requires the resale to occur not less than one year after the later of the date the Securities were sold by the Company or the date the Securities were sold by an affiliate of the Company, within the meaning of Rule 144; and, in the case of acquisition of the Securities by an
affiliate, or by a non-affiliate who subsequently holds the Securities less than two years, the satisfaction of certain of the conditions specified by Rule 144, including: (1) the resale being made through a broker in an unsolicited brokers transaction or in transactions directly with a market maker (as said term is defined under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934), (2) the availability of certain public information about the Company, (3) the amount of Securities being sold during any three month period not exceeding the limitations specified in Rule 144(e), and (4) the timely filing of a Form 144, if applicable.
(c) Optionee further understands that in the event all of the applicable requirements of Rule 144 are not satisfied, registration under the Securities Act, compliance with Regulation A, or some other registration exemption will be required; and that, notwithstanding the fact that Rules 144 is not exclusive, the Staff of the Securities and Exchange Commission has expressed its opinion that persons proposing to sell private placement securities other than in a registered offering and otherwise than pursuant to Rules 144 will have a substantial burden of proof in establishing that an exemption from registration is available for such offers or sales, and that such persons and their respective brokers who participate in such transactions do so at their own risk. Optionee understands that no assurances can be given that any such other registration exemption will be available in such event.
Signature of Optionee:
2000 STOCK PLAN
RESTRICTED STOCK PURCHASE AGREEMENT
THIS AGREEMENT is made between (the Purchaser) and Google Inc. (the Company) or its assignees of rights hereunder as of , .
Unless otherwise defined herein, the terms defined in the 2000 Stock Plan shall have the same defined meanings in this Agreement.
A. Pursuant to the exercise of the option (grant number ) granted to Purchaser under the Plan and pursuant to the Option Agreement dated by and between the Company and Purchaser with respect to such grant (the Option), which Plan and Option Agreement are hereby incorporated by reference, Purchaser has elected to purchase of those shares of Common Stock which have not become vested under the vesting schedule set forth in the Option Agreement (Unvested Shares). The Unvested Shares and the shares subject to the Option Agreement which have become vested are sometimes collectively referred to herein as the Shares.
B. As required by the Option Agreement, as a condition to Purchasers election to exercise the option, Purchaser must execute this Agreement, which sets forth the rights and obligations of the parties with respect to Shares acquired upon exercise of the Option.
1. Repurchase Option.
(a) If Purchasers status as a Service Provider is terminated for any reason, including for death and Disability, the Company or its assignee of rights hereunder shall have the right and option to purchase from Purchaser, or Purchasers personal representative, as the case may be, all of the Purchasers Unvested Shares as of the date of such termination at the price paid by the Purchaser for such Shares (the Repurchase Option).
(b) Upon the occurrence of such termination, the Company may exercise its Repurchase Option by delivering personally or by registered mail, to Purchaser (or his transferee or legal representative, as the case may be), within ninety (90) days of the termination, a notice in writing indicating the Companys intention to exercise the Repurchase Option and setting forth a date for closing not later than thirty (30) days from the mailing of such notice. The closing shall take place at the Companys office. At the closing, the holder of the certificates for the Unvested Shares being transferred shall deliver the stock certificate or certificates evidencing the Unvested Shares, and the Company shall deliver the purchase price therefor.
(c) At its option, the Company or its assignee of rights hereunder may elect to make payment for the Unvested Shares to a bank selected by the Company. The Company shall avail itself of this option by a notice in writing to Purchaser stating the name and address of the bank, date of closing, and waiving the closing at the Companys office.
(d) If the Company does not elect to exercise the Repurchase Option conferred above by giving the requisite notice within ninety (90) days following the termination, the Repurchase Option shall terminate.
(e) The Repurchase Option shall terminate in accordance with the vesting schedule contained in Optionees Option Agreement. The Company will not have the right to repurchase any shares that become vested under the terms of the Option Agreement and/or offer letter between the Company and the Optionee.
2. Transferability of the Shares; Escrow.
(a) Purchaser hereby authorizes and directs the Secretary of the Company, or such other person designated by the Company, to transfer the Unvested Shares as to which the Repurchase Option has been exercised from Purchaser to the Company.
(b) To insure the availability for delivery of Purchasers Unvested Shares upon repurchase by the Company pursuant to the Repurchase Option under Section 1, Purchaser hereby appoints the Secretary, or any other person designated by the Company as escrow agent, as its attorney-in-fact to sell, assign and transfer unto the Company, such Unvested Shares, if any, repurchased by the Company pursuant to the Repurchase Option and shall, upon execution of this Agreement, deliver and deposit with the Secretary of the Company, or such other person designated by the Company, the share certificates representing the Unvested Shares, together with the stock assignment duly endorsed in blank, attached hereto as Exhibit C-2. The Unvested Shares and stock assignment shall be held by the secretary in escrow, pursuant to the Joint Escrow Instructions of the Company and Purchaser attached as Exhibit C-3 hereto, until the Company exercises its Repurchase Option, until such Unvested Shares are vested, or until such time as this Agreement no longer is in effect. Upon vesting of the Unvested Shares, the escrow agent shall promptly deliver to the Purchaser the certificate or certificates representing such Shares in the escrow agents possession belonging to the Purchaser, and the escrow agent shall be discharged of all further obligations hereunder; provided, however, that the escrow agent shall nevertheless retain such certificate or certificates as escrow agent if so required pursuant to other restrictions imposed pursuant to this Agreement.
(c) The Company, or its designee, shall not be liable for any act it may do or omit to do with respect to holding the Shares in escrow and while acting in good faith and in the exercise of its judgment.
(d) Transfer or sale of the Shares is subject to restrictions on transfer imposed by any applicable state and federal securities laws. Any transferee shall hold such Shares subject to all the provisions hereof and the Exercise Notice executed by the Purchaser with respect to any
Unvested Shares purchased by Purchaser and shall acknowledge the same by signing a copy of this Agreement.
3. Ownership, Voting Rights, Duties. This Agreement shall not affect in any way the ownership, voting rights or other rights or duties of Purchaser, except as specifically provided herein.
4. Legends. The share certificate evidencing the Shares issued hereunder shall be endorsed with the following legend (in addition to any legend required under applicable federal and state securities laws):
THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS UPON TRANSFER AND RIGHTS OF REPURCHASE AS SET FORTH IN AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE COMPANY AND THE STOCKHOLDER, A COPY OF WHICH IS ON FILE WITH THE SECRETARY OF THE COMPANY.
5. Adjustment for Stock Split. All references to the number of Shares and the purchase price of the Shares in this Agreement shall be appropriately adjusted to reflect any stock split, stock dividend or other change in the Shares which may be made by the Company pursuant to Section 12 of the Plan after the date of this Agreement.
6. Notices. Notices required hereunder shall be given in person or by registered mail to the address of Purchaser shown on the records of the Company, and to the Company at their respective principal executive offices.
7. Survival of Terms. This Agreement shall apply to and bind Purchaser and the Company and their respective permitted assignees and transferees, heirs, legatees, executors, administrators and legal successors.
8. Section 83(b) Election. Purchaser hereby acknowledges that he or she has been informed that, with respect to the exercise of an Option for Unvested Shares, an election (the Election) may be filed by the Purchaser with the Internal Revenue Service, within thirty (30) days of the purchase of the exercised Shares, electing pursuant to Section 83(b) of the Code to be taxed currently on any difference between the purchase price of the exercised Shares and their Fair Market Value on the date of purchase. In the case of a Nonstatutory Stock Option, this will result in a recognition of taxable income to the Purchaser on the date of exercise, measured by the excess, if any, of the Fair Market Value of the exercised Shares, at the time the Option is exercised over the purchase price for the exercised Shares. Absent such an Election, taxable income will be measured and recognized by Purchaser at the time or times on which the Companys Repurchase Option lapses. In the case of an Incentive Stock Option, such an Election will result in a recognition of income to the Purchaser for alternative minimum tax purposes on the date of exercise, measured by the excess, if any, of the Fair Market Value of the exercised Shares, at the time the option is exercised, over the purchase price for the exercised Shares. Absent such an Election, alternative minimum taxable income will be measured and recognized by Purchaser at the time or times on which the Companys Repurchase Option lapses. Purchaser is strongly encouraged to seek the advice of his or her own tax
consultants in connection with the purchase of the Shares and the advisability of filing of the Election under Section 83(b) of the Code. A form of Election under Section 83(b) is attached hereto as Exhibit C-4 for reference.
PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT IT IS PURCHASERS SOLE RESPONSIBILITY AND NOT THE COMPANYS TO FILE TIMELY THE ELECTION UNDER SECTION 83(b) OF THE CODE, EVEN IF PURCHASER REQUESTS THE COMPANY OR ITS REPRESENTATIVE TO MAKE THIS FILING ON PURCHASERS BEHALF.
9. Representations. Purchaser has reviewed with his own tax advisors the federal, state, local and foreign tax consequences of this investment and the transactions contemplated by this Agreement. Purchaser is relying solely on such advisors and not on any statements or representations of the Company or any of its agents. Purchaser understands that he (and not the Company) shall be responsible for his own tax liability that may arise as a result of this investment or the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.
10. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by the internal substantive laws, but not the choice of law rules, of California.
Purchaser represents that he has read this Agreement and is familiar with its terms and provisions. Purchaser hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Board upon any questions arising under this Agreement.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, this Agreement is deemed made as of the date first set forth above.
ASSIGNMENT SEPARATE FROM CERTIFICATE
FOR VALUE RECEIVED I, , hereby sell, assign and transfer unto Google Inc. ( ) shares of the Common Stock of Google Inc. standing in my name of the books of said corporation represented by Certificate No. herewith and do hereby irrevocably constitute and appoint to transfer the said stock on the books of the within named corporation with full power of substitution in the premises.
This Stock Assignment may be used only in accordance with the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement between Google Inc. and the undersigned dated , .
INSTRUCTIONS: Please do not fill in any blanks other than the signature line. The purpose of this assignment is to enable the Company to exercise its repurchase option, as set forth in the Agreement, without requiring additional signatures on the part of the Purchaser.
JOINT ESCROW INSTRUCTIONS
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
650 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304-1050
Attention: Corporate Secretary
As Escrow Agent for both Google Inc. (the Company), and the undersigned purchaser of stock of the Company (the Purchaser), you are hereby authorized and directed to hold the documents delivered to you pursuant to the terms of that certain Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement (the Agreement) between the Company and the undersigned, in accordance with the following instructions:
1. In the event the Company and/or any assignee of the Company (referred to collectively for convenience herein as the Company) exercises the Companys repurchase option set forth in the Agreement, the Company shall give to Purchaser and you a written notice specifying the number of shares of stock to be purchased, the purchase price, and the time for a closing hereunder at the principal office of the Company. Purchaser and the Company hereby irrevocably authorize and direct you to close the transaction contemplated by such notice in accordance with the terms of said notice.
2. At the closing, you are directed (a) to date the stock assignments necessary for the transfer in question, (b) to fill in the number of shares being transferred, and (c) to deliver the stock assignments, together with the certificate evidencing the shares of stock to be transferred, to the Company or its assignee, against the simultaneous delivery to you of the purchase price (by cash, a check, or some combination thereof) for the number of shares of stock being purchased pursuant to the exercise of the Companys repurchase option.
3. Purchaser irrevocably authorizes the Company to deposit with you any certificates evidencing shares of stock to be held by you hereunder and any additions and substitutions to said shares as defined in the Agreement. Purchaser does hereby irrevocably constitute and appoint you as Purchasers attorney-in-fact and agent for the term of this escrow to execute with respect to such securities all documents necessary or appropriate to make such securities negotiable and to complete any transaction herein contemplated, including but not limited to the filing with any applicable state blue sky authority of any required applications for consent to, or notice of transfer of, the securities. Subject to the provisions of this paragraph 3, Purchaser shall exercise all rights and privileges of a stockholder of the Company while the stock is held by you.
4. Upon written request of the Purchaser, but no more than once per calendar quarter, unless the Companys repurchase option has been exercised, you will deliver to Purchaser a certificate
or certificates representing so many shares of stock as are not then subject to the Companys repurchase option. Within 120 days after cessation of Purchasers continuous employment by or services to the Company, or any parent or subsidiary of the Company, you will deliver to Purchaser a certificate or certificates representing the aggregate number of shares held or issued pursuant to the Agreement and not purchased by the Company or its assignees pursuant to exercise of the Companys repurchase option.
5. If at the time of termination of this escrow you should have in your possession any documents, securities, or other property belonging to Purchaser, you shall deliver all of the same to Purchaser and shall be discharged of all further obligations hereunder.
6. Your duties hereunder may be altered, amended, modified or revoked only by a writing signed by all of the parties hereto.
7. You shall be obligated only for the performance of such duties as are specifically set forth herein and may rely and shall be protected in relying or refraining from acting on any instrument reasonably believed by you to be genuine and to have been signed or presented by the proper party or parties. You shall not be personally liable for any act you may do or omit to do hereunder as Escrow Agent or as attorney-in-fact for Purchaser while acting in good faith, and any act done or omitted by you pursuant to the advice of your own attorneys shall be conclusive evidence of such good faith.
8. You are hereby expressly authorized to disregard any and all warnings given by any of the parties hereto or by any other person or corporation, excepting only orders or process of courts of law and are hereby expressly authorized to comply with and obey orders, judgments or decrees of any court. In case you obey or comply with any such order, judgment or decree, you shall not be liable to any of the parties hereto or to any other person, firm or corporation by reason of such compliance, notwithstanding any such order, judgment or decree being subsequently reversed, modified, annulled, set aside, vacated or found to have been entered without jurisdiction.
9. You shall not be liable in any respect on account of the identity, authorities or rights of the parties executing or delivering or purporting to execute or deliver the Agreement or any documents or papers deposited or called for hereunder.
10. You shall not be liable for the outlawing of any rights under the Statute of Limitations with respect to these Joint Escrow Instructions or any documents deposited with you.
11. You shall be entitled to employ such legal counsel and other experts as you may deem necessary properly to advise you in connection with your obligations hereunder, may rely upon the advice of such counsel, and may pay such counsel reasonable compensation therefor.
12. Your responsibilities as Escrow Agent hereunder shall terminate if you shall cease to be an officer or agent of the Company or if you shall resign by written notice to each party. In the event of any such termination, the Company shall appoint a successor Escrow Agent.
13. If you reasonably require other or further instruments in connection with these Joint Escrow Instructions or obligations in respect hereto, the necessary parties hereto shall join in furnishing such instruments.
14. It is understood and agreed that should any dispute arise with respect to the delivery and/or ownership or right of possession of the securities held by you hereunder, you are authorized and directed to retain in your possession without liability to anyone all or any part of said securities until such disputes shall have been settled either by mutual written agreement of the parties concerned or by a final order, decree or judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction after the time for appeal has expired and no appeal has been perfected, but you shall be under no duty whatsoever to institute or defend any such proceedings.
15. Any notice required or permitted hereunder shall be given in writing and shall be deemed effectively given upon personal delivery or upon deposit in the United States Post Office, by registered or certified mail with postage and fees prepaid, addressed to each of the other parties thereunto entitled at the following addresses or at such other addresses as a party may designate by ten days advance written notice to each of the other parties hereto.
16. By signing these Joint Escrow Instructions, you become a party hereto only for the purpose of said Joint Escrow Instructions; you do not become a party to the Agreement.
17. This instrument shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto, and their respective successors and permitted assigns.
18. These Joint Escrow Instructions shall be governed by the internal substantive laws, but not the choice of law rules, of California.
ELECTION UNDER SECTION 83(b)
OF THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE OF 1986
The undersigned taxpayer hereby elects, pursuant to Sections 55 and 83(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, to include in taxpayers gross income or alternative minimum taxable income, as the case may be, for the current taxable year the amount of any compensation taxable to taxpayer in connection with taxpayers receipt of the property described below:
|The name, address, taxpayer identification number and taxable year of the undersigned are as follows:
|The property with respect to which the election is made is described as follows: shares (the Shares) of the Common Stock of Google Inc. (the Company).
|The date on which the property was transferred is: , .
|The property is subject to the following restrictions:
The Shares may not be transferred and are subject to forfeiture under the terms of an agreement between the taxpayer and the Company. These restrictions lapse upon the satisfaction of certain conditions contained in such agreement.
|The fair market value at the time of transfer, determined without regard to any restriction other than a restriction which by its terms will never lapse, of such property is: $ per share.
|The amount (if any) paid for such property is: $ (per share).
The undersigned has submitted a copy of this statement to the person for whom the services were performed in connection with the undersigneds receipt of the above-described property. The transferee of such property is the person performing the services in connection with the transfer of said property.
The undersigned understands that the foregoing election may not be revoked except with the consent of the Commissioner.
Dated: ____________________________________, _______
The undersigned spouse of taxpayer joins in this election.
Dated: ____________________________________, _______
|Spouse of Taxpayer